BLACKSBURG, Va. — Chante Black registered her third straight double-double in ACC action to lead fourth-ranked Duke to a 57-52 victory over Virginia Tech on Friday night in Cassell Coliseum in Blacksburg, Va. Black notched 13 points and 14 rebounds in 34 minutes to lead Duke.
Blue Devil Postgame Notes
Duke at Virginia Tech * January 16, 2009
With The Duke Victory:
* Joanne P. McCallie continued her best start in her 17 years as a head coach at 15-1. Her previous best start was in 2004-05 as she guided Michigan State to a 12-1 mark.
* Extended its win streak to 13 games.
* Won the 10th straight game against Virginia Tech.
* Joanne P. McCallie improved to 3-1 all-time against the Hokies.
Senior Chante Black
* Posted double-figure scoring for the 16th straight game to open the season. Is the only player in the ACC to score 10+ points in all of her teams games this season.
* Notched her third straight double-double in ACC action with 13 points and 14 rebounds.
* The double-double was the seventh this season and 24th of her career.
Senior Abby Waner
* Did not play due to a sinus infection and coughing.
* Missed her first game of the season and only the fifth of her career.
Senior Carrem Gay
* Came off the bench in the first half and then started the second half, after scoring five points, notching two steals and two rebounds in 10 minutes.
* Finished the game with seven points, five rebounds, three steals and two assists.
Junior Bridgette Mitchell
* Hit her career-best third three-pointer of the season.
* Finished with five points and two rebounds.
Sophomore Karima Christmas
* Made her first career start.
* Had nine points, three rebounds, two assists, two steals and one blocked shot in 23 minutes.
* Hit 12 out of her last 18 field goals.
Sophomore Jasmine Thomas
* Struggled shooting from the field as she went 0-of-10 field goals.
Junior Keturah Jackson
* Led Duke with three steals.
Freshman Kathleen Scheer
* Hit 2-of-3 three-pointers marking the second-most three-pointers in a single game this year and a career best in ACC action.
Other Duke Notes:
* All four three-pointers were made by the Blue Devil bench.
* Nine different Blue Devils scored.
* Totaled only one player in double-figure scoring for the first time this season.
* Hit 4-of-5 free throws in the final 22 seconds of the game.
* Had 28 turnovers which was a season high against ACC opponents.
* Held a 23-8 advantage in bench points.
* Outrebounded its opponent, 39-35, and has outrebounded 14 of 16 opponents this season.
* Coach P improved to 24-3 when holding opponents to under 40.0 percent from the field (30.9).
* Hit 45.7 percent from the field, which is the highest against an ACC opponent this season.
* Duke will next travel to N.C. State on Monday, Jan. 19 for a 5:00 p.m., contest in Raleigh, N.C.