[1 AP / 1 Coaches] Duke (10-0, 0-0 ACC) vs. Elon (4-6, 0-3 SoCon)
Monday, Dec. 20, 2010 • 7:00 p.m.
The Opening Tip
• Duke faces Elon on Monday, Dec. 20 at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
• The game is being televised by Fox Sports South with Mike Hogewood (play-by-play) and Mike Gminski (analyst) calling the action.
• Duke is ranked No. 1 in the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, while Elon is unranked in both polls.
• The Blue Devils enter the contest 10-0 on the year, while the Phoenix are 4-6 overall.
• Duke has won 20 consecutive games entering Monday’s contest.
• The Blue Devils are looking to open the season 11-0 for the ninth time under Coach K.
• Duke is seeking its 37th straight win against a team outside of the traditional power conferences (Big Ten, Big East, SEC, ACC, PAC-10, Big 12).
Duke vs. Elon
• Duke is 13-5 all-time against Elon.
• Duke and Elon met 18 times between 1911 and 1936. The two schools have not played since Jan. 2, 1936.
Duke vs. Southern Conference
• Duke is 140-24 all-time against teams currently in the Southern Conference.
• The Blue Devils have won 45 straight against Southern Conference opponents. Duke’s last loss to a SoCon foe was 75-73 to Davidson on Dec. 29,1981.
• Mike Krzyzewski has led the Blue Devils to a 45-2 record against schools currently in the Southern Conference.
• Duke will also play UNC Greensboro out of the Southern Conference on Dec. 29.
l Mike Krzyzewski ranks third on the all-time wins list with 878 career victories. He is two wins shy of passing Dean Smith for most career wins by an ACC coach.
l The Blue Devils have won 20 consecutive games dating back to a 79-72 loss at Maryland on March 3, 2010. Duke has won 28 of its last 29 games.
l Duke has won 37 consecutive games against teams outside the traditional power conferences (Big Ten, Big East, SEC, ACC, PAC 10, Big 12). Virginia Commonwealth’s 79-77 win over Duke in the 2007 NCAA Tournament was the Blue Devils’ last loss to a team from a non-power conference.
l Duke has only lost two home games in the past four seasons, posting a record of 54-2 in Cameron Indoor Stadium during that span. The Blue Devils currently have a 25-game win streak at home.
l The Blue Devils have won an NCAA-best 83 consecutive non-conference home games. The last home loss against a non-conference opponent for the Blue Devils was on Feb. 26, 2000, against St. John’s, 83-82.
l Duke has won 47 straight home games against unranked opponents. The Blue Devils’ last loss at Cameron Indoor Stadium to an unranked opponent was to Florida State on Feb. 4, 2007.
l Duke has scored 80 or more points in nine games this season. The Blue Devils have won 24 consecutive games when scoring 80+ points. Duke is 491-46 under Coach K when scoring 80 or more points in a game.
l Senior Nolan Smith is one win shy of becoming the 31st player in Duke history to play in 100 victories. The Blue Devils are 99-17 over the past four years in games that Smith has played in.
l Duke is averaging 48.7 ppg. in the second half of play. The Blue Devils are shooting 56.4 percent (158-of-280) from the field, including 55.4 percent (56-of-101) from three-point range after halftime.
l The Blue Devils lead the ACC and rank seventh nationally in three-point field goal percentage (.436) and three-point field goals (9.5 3pg.). Duke has made more three-point field goals than its opponent in eight of 10 games and has made 45 more treys than its opposition on the year.
l Duke has limited its last two opponents to 47.5 points per game and 35.4 percent (39-of-110) shooting from the field. The Blue Devils have held three opponents under 50 points in a game this season. Duke has not held three consecutive foes under 50 points since the first three games of the 2006-07 season.
l Duke has won 52 consecutive December home games.
By Duke Sports Information on December 19, 2010