Here are some highlights from Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski and players Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier and R.J. Barret before the teams trip to Canada.
Quick hits -
- Marques Bolden said that the freshman are fundamentally sound and know how to do the little things already.
- Bolden was asked about the transfer rumors a season ago and said it was never a true option for him.
- Bolden said that much of his offseason work concentrated on his motor and eating habits.
- Javin DeLaurier worked out with teammate Justin Robinson and his Dad David in the offseason where he took kickboxing lessons and also yoga while in San Antonio.
- DeLaurier said his role was to lead as an upperclassman and that he joked with Bolden that they were the older guys now. He joked that the freshman came up and asked if there were practices on Saturdays in which they laughed.
- The freshman are especially close and work hard and are ready to listen according to DeLaurier.
- R.J. Barrett said he was excited to return home with Duke and see his friends.
- Barrett said he had worked on his outside game and hoped people backed off him in games.
- Barrett said that a big part of his game was to make plays and that he could run the point if needed.
- Barrett said he has achieved good things while in Canada and grew up watching Andrew Wiggins and that the younger generation now looks up to him.
- Barrett said Javin was one of the hardest workers he has seen.
- Barrett said that Krzyzewski just allows him to play and he was one of the funniest guys he knows.
- Krzyzewski said he just wanted his players to play to their strengths without position worries.
- Krzyzewski glowed when he talked about Zion Williamson calling him a great player and young man on and off the court. He said his weight was proportioned to his body type and that he had good lateral quickness.