New York – Gerald Henderson was selected with the 12th overall pick in the first round by the Charlotte Bobcats in Thursday’s NBA Draft. Henderson, who entered the draft following his junior season at Duke, becomes the 40th player selected in the NBA Draft under head coach Mike Krzyzewski and the 73rd overall NBA draft pick in school history.
“I am excited about being drafted by the Charlotte Bobcats,” said Henderson. “Charlotte is a great city and the Bobcats have outstanding fan support. I am looking forward to getting in to training camp and summer league to work with my new teammates and the coaching staff. The Bobcats have a bright future and I am grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of it.”
Henderson, a first team All-ACC and second team All-America selection, led the team in scoring (16.5 ppg.), ranked second in rebounding (4.9 rpg.) and assists (91) and third in blocked shots (28) and steals (46) last season. He also led the team with 42 dunks, 20 drawn charges, nine three-point plays and 19 jump balls controlled. He averaged 19.8 points per game during conference play to rank fifth in the league.
Henderson ended his Duke career as one of 59 players in school history with over 1,000 career points, ranking 39th with 1,262 points. He scored in double figures in 63 contests with 14 games of 20 or more points, including 10 last season. He shot 45.8 percent from the field and averaged 4.2 rebounds in 104 career games. Henderson was also one of only 30 players in school history with 50 or more blocks, ranking 20th all-time with 69 blocks.
Henderson’s father, Gerald Sr., was a 13-year NBA veteran. He won two NBA Championships (1981 & 1984) with the Boston Celtics and one title with the Detroit Pistons (1990).
Duke Draft Notes
· Henderson is the 15th Duke player selected in the NBA draft lottery, more than any other school in the nation since the system was put into place in 1985.
· Henderson becomes the 21st player under Coach K selected in the first round of the NBA Draft. He is the 13th Blue Devil first round selection in the last 12 years.
· Henderson is the 28th Duke player selected in the first round of the NBA Draft.
· Henderson becomes the first Duke player selected by the Charlotte Bobcats. Mike Gminski is the only other Blue Devil to play for the Charlotte franchise (1991-94).
· Henderson is the second Duke player selected with the 12th pick in the NBA Draft. Cherokee Parks was draft at No. 12 by the Dallas Mavericks in 1995.