Making its 26th appearance in the Sweet 16, second-seeded Duke battles 11th-seeded Syracuse Friday in the semifinals of the Midwest Region.Duke is 110-36 (.753) in the NCAA Tournament, which is No. 1 all-time in winning percentage and No. 3 in wins.
The Blue Devils’ 26 Sweet 16 appearances are second-most while its 16 appearances since 1998 are the most.
- Head coach Mike Krzyzewski has led Duke to the Sweet 16 for the 24th time, a record number of bids by a coach. Coach K’s 93 tournament wins are also the most.
- Freshman Marvin Bagley III, who scored 22 points in each game last week in Pittsburgh, leads the ACC in scoring (21.2) and rebounding (11.3). He is aiming to be the 13th player in ACC history (and first freshman) to lead in both.
- Syracuse are 23-13 this season and advanced to the Sweet 16 with wins over Arizona State (60-56 in the First Four), TCU (57-52) and Michigan State (55-53).
- The Orange are led in scoring by Tyus Battle who averages 19.3 points per game. Battle (38:58), Frank Howard (38:25) and Oshea Brissett (38:05) are first, second and sixth in the country in minutes per game.
- Duke is 6-5 all-time against Syracuse and it will be the third NCAA Tournament meeting between the two schools. The Blue Devils bounced the Orange 91-81 in the 1966 East Regional Semifinal in Raleigh and 80-67 in the 1998 South Regional Semifinal in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- The two teams met Feb. 24 in Durham, with Duke winning 60-44 behind 19 points from Bagley III and 16 from Wendell Carter, Jr.