The Opening Tip
* Duke faces Miami on Sunday, Jan. 2 at Cameron Indoor Stadium in the ACC opener for both schools. Tipoff is set for 7:45 p.m.
* The game is being televised by FSN with Tim Brando (play-by-play), Mike Gminski (analyst) and Jenn Hildreth (sideline) calling the action.
* Duke is ranked No. 1 in the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, while Miami is unranked in both polls.
* The Blue Devils enter the contest 12-0 on the year, while the Hurricanes are 11-3 overall.
* Duke has won 22 consecutive games entering Sunday’s contest.
* Duke has won three straight conference openers and 23 of its 30 ACC openers under Mike Krzyzewski.
The Duke-Miami Series History
* Duke is 13-2 all-time against Miami with a 6-0 mark at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
* The Blue Devils have won nine of the 10 meetings since Miami joined the ACC prior to the 2004-05 season.
* Mike Krzyzewski is 13-1 against Miami.
* Duke has won three straight in the series and 13 of the last 14 contests.
* The last four meetings between the two schools have been decided by seven points or less.
* Eight of the 15 games between Duke and Miami have been decided by less than 10 points.
* Duke has scored 90 or more points against Miami six times with three 100-point efforts.
* Duke won the last meeting 77-74 in the semifinals of the 2010 ACC Tournament.
* Mike Krzyzewski moved into second place on the NCAA all-time wins list with Duke’s win over UNC Greensboro on Wednesday. He enters Sunday’s game 22 wins shy of Bobby Knight’s NCAA-record of 902 career victories.
* The Blue Devils have won 22 consecutive games dating back to a 79-72 loss at Maryland on March 3, 2010. Duke has won 30 of its last 31 games.
* Duke has only lost two home games in the past four seasons, posting a record of 55-2 in Cameron Indoor Stadium during that span. The Blue Devils currently have a 26-game win streak at home.
* Duke has won 48 straight home games against unranked opponents. The Blue Devils’ last loss at Cameron Indoor Stadium to an unranked opponent was to Florida State on Feb. 4, 2007.
* Duke is 23-7 (.767) in Atlantic Coast Conference openers under Mike Krzyzewski. The Blue Devils have won 23 of their last 27 conference openers, including 13 of the last 14 league lid lifters.
* Sunday’s game marks the ACC opener for Duke. The Blue Devils are 42-15 (.737) all-time in the previous 57 openers.
* Duke has scored 80 or more points in 11 games this season. The Blue Devils have won 26 consecutive games when scoring 80+ points. Duke is 493-46 under Coach K when scoring 80 or more points in a game.
* Seniors Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith have scored 20 or more points in each of the last three games. The tandem is averaging 47.3 points per game in that span while shooting 61.3 percent (49-of-80) from the field, including 65.2 percent (15-of-23) from three-point range.
* Kyle Singler is averaging 22.3 points per game while shooting 52.0 percent (13-of-25) from three-point range in the last four games.
* Duke is averaging 49.2 points per game in the second half of play this season. The Blue Devils are shooting 57.3 percent (192-of-335) from the field, including 56.1 percent (69-of-123) from three-point range after halftime.
* Senior Nolan Smith has accounted for 32.2 points per game (scoring and assists) this season. He has not had a game with less than 25 total points between assists and points. Smith is coming off a 46-point effort (26 points scored + 20 points off nine assists) in Wednesday’s win over UNC Greensboro. He has accounted for 30 or more points six times on the year.
* The Blue Devils lead the NCAA in three-point field goal percentage (.442) and are tied for sixth nationally in three-point field goals (9.8 3pg.). Duke has made 10 or more threes in a game six times and has made 56 more treys than its opposition.
* Duke leads in the NCAA with a +27.5 scoring margin. The Blue Devils have won seven games by 30 or more points.